Welcome to LandOLights.com!

Home arrow What's New? (Blog) arrow It can happen to you
It can happen to you Print E-mail
Friday, 29 June 2012
It has been a while since I've tried to hammer home electrical safety.  A recent death in Orlando has given me the chance.

If you have read any of my other blog entries, you'll see that I am obnoxious when it comes to installing GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) to protect you and your visitors.  

On June 28 2012, an 11 year old girl died after she reached into a pond to retrieve a golf ball.  The cause of death has been determined to be electrocution.  This death was 100% PREVENTABLE had the pump/lighting circuit been protected by a GFCI as specified for in code.

Apparently, the GFCI breaker was REMOVED from this particular circuit.  I can probably guess why...  The GFCI breaker kept tripping.  Rather than look for and correct the unsafe condition, someone replaced the GFCI with a normal breaker.  Result: electrified water, and a family devastated.

Sound familiar?  How many stories have we read on-line about decorators removing GFCI protection because they kept tripping?  

How many decorators have you heard say 'I don't need GFCI since my display is protected by a fence'?  Watch the video above and note that the pond is surrounded by a fence.  

Pond, puddle, or just wet ground, the result is the same:  Electricity + human + path to ground = DEAD.

GFCIs save lives.

 
< Prev   Next >
The Christmas Lights WebRing by tfischer
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >> ]
(C)2006-2016 LandOLights.com/loltechnical.com. All rights reserved.